Thursday, February 4, 2010

Saying Goodbye...again!

On the 1.1.10, son Misch left for Thailand for a year, age 19. He's working for an aide organisation. Tomorrow morning my youngest bro leaves Australia to migrate to Canada, to Vancouver to be precise. It's hard to let go knowing I will rarely see them. But life goes on and I hope to be expanding my own horizons by getting a placement to finish my counselling course.
I have come so close after a long hunt, only to have the door closed because my supervisor was offered extra hours elsewhere and so left, then the next one is renovating and there is now no office space for me. I am so disappointed!! Here is where faith v sight comes in. It's a bit if a battle to be sure. I am upset, yet I know I can't make things happen just because I need them to happen. (Sigh).
Meanwhile, today I surfed some quilting sites and found a great BOM from Shannon Baker (I think her last name is)
piecefulkwilter.blogspot.com
Check it out. The colours she has used are lovely.Shannon is very talented and has put some good tutorials up to be able to follow her design. I'm going to start with the piecing after I finish the mystery from Ann Smith. I have finished quilting the squares in the quilt as you go (my variation) method and now need to cut sashings for the back and front and join them up. As I've been sewing these blocks I keep having visions of a scalloped border. It's calling to me. But, I will wait until the blocks are together before I make that decision. I was so pleased to be able to use up leftover batting pieces which were taking up a lot of space.
 

See! Isn't it pretty.
Stash report
I haven't played enough to join Judy Laquidara's stash report yet, but I may have time this week 'cos the kids are back in school, farewells have been said and college doesn't start for another two weeks. YAY
In: Some pretty Japanese prints 5X fat quarters
                                                       1X1 1/4yds (Is that 1metre or close enough?)
                                                     
I found a fabric from 2 yrs back and brought 5m (approx 6yds) in my fav blue. Every time I turned around I was using this blue and I promised myself I would buys lots if I ever saw it again, and I keep my promises (VBG).
And 2 1/3 yds of a green to match up a quilt for which I ran out of the green to finish the borders. Not an exact match but by the time I make a Judy Lacquidara fancy border it will do nicely I think. (And I'm not buying any more if it doesn't!). Judy's site is Patchwork times. Google will find it for you. I am on a 'new' 2nd hand computer and do not have my favourites to copy the link to yet.
But on the bright side I used up a big bag of batting leftovers
and...drumroll....3X 1.5yds of fabric for the backing of the Ann Smith quilt.
Total: 1 yd + FQ
           1 1/4yd
           6 yd
           2 1/3 yd

 =     near enough to 10 and 3/4yds IN
and 4 1/5 yds OUT

This means I have been able to get to quilting for a change YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment